Monday, April 8, 2013

Quick update

I will probably only have time for a quick check-in, so that's what I'm planning.  Both kids had their well-baby/child exams last week.  Both are very healthy and doing well.  I don't have their stats with me, so that'll have to wait for another post.  I do remember Leland's weight is the 1st percentile.  He's not off the chart, but he did plateau since his last well-baby.  On the doctor's recommendation, we are trying to supplement one feeding a day with formula.  She suspects my milk isn't very fatty, which would account for his weight plateau.  It certainly is not due to the amount he nurses.  So far we haven't had much luck with the bottle, but we'll keep trying.  She also said we could start cereal in about a month or so which should help him sleep through the night.  He can sleep a good 3-5 hour stretch after he goes down for the night, but after midnight he'll wake up every 2 hours.  It sucks.  He still takes crappy naps most days (20-30 min cat naps) and spend quite a bit of time over tired.  Otherwise he is a happy little guy who loves to smile and laugh when you tickle him.  He is very social and so far isn't particular about who holds him. 

Isabel is also very healthy.  She is doing well in all areas and continues to excel in speech.  Just the other day she used the sandwich technique on me and I totally fell for it.  She had complemented me on a braid I did for her before telling me the other braid looked horrible.  For a second I thought we were having a bonding moment.  Not.

Ryan and I have become increasingly unhappy with the daycare we chose for her.  Partly because we put so much effort into choosing this place and partly because we feel she is learning some bad habits from her classroom.  All the research we did was negated about 2 weeks after she started there when the director and a few teachers left.  Since then it seems unorganized, I'm not super fond of the new director, and the morning routine is not working for us.  Long story short, we are looking for a 3 hr/day, 3 day/wk preschool program for her.  We found an in-home preschool literally around the corner from our house.  I have met with the teacher and I really liked her and her program.  Ryan will meet with her hopefully this week.  Being so close to home is a major plus and something we were hoping for.  I think Isabel will be much better off in a small class (1:6 ratio) where all the kids start and end their days at the same time so no one misses out on fun stuff.  The only drawback is this program follows the school district's calendar, so summers off.  That means we'll be at home together all summer long.  I'm spending the little free time I have researching homeschooling plans and activities so we don't have a boring, mindless summer but one filled with play dates, learning activities and lots and lots of baking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment