Monday, February 23, 2009

Lamaze

We finally started Lamaze class the other night. It was supposed to run from 7-9 for 6 Wednesdays in a row. Instead, it is 6:30-9:15 for 2 Wednesdays, then 2 Wednesdays off, then on for 2 Wednesdays. Apparently the hospital needs all "available" space for transitioning to computerized medical records. I guess when they meant available, they weren't really looking for what was actually available. So, it's a little hectic getting home and eating and feeding the animals before we have to turn around and leave again, but we managed and it worked out fine.

There was a little more group activity than I thought. Things like meeting another couple, asking them questions and introducing them to the rest of the group. Of the 7 couples that were there, 4 are having girls, 1 a boy and 2 didn't find out.

We went over a lot of basics, course over view, changing anatomy (my poor organs!), 2 breathing techniques and a few stretches. I think it went well and the rest of the group seems to be decent. Although one couple didn't get the message or letter in the mail that class time had been changed. So, not only were they late for a 6:30 start, they were late for a 7:00 start as well. Since I'm big on punctuality, they're my least favorite couple. Although - small world - Ryan used to work with the husband a few years ago.

One funny story - we watched a brief birthing video towards the end of class. After the birth was over and all is well, it goes back to the mom delivering the placenta. The next thing we know the instructor is looking past Ryan and I at the couple we worked with at the beginning of class with a concerned look on her face and said "Are you okayyyy?". I looked back at the poor woman who looked like she wanted to pass out or throw up. I'm guessing she was secretly wishing she could turn back time and opt out. But, once class is all over she should be fine. In her defense that placenta was huge!

Anyway, we measured my belly last night - I've put on 7 inches!!! Weight is still okay - hovering around 20 lb. gain. We registered over the weekend which was fun. I know we're forgetting something, or a lot of things, but we'll figure it out as it comes. Each step makes it more real, even though she's kicking and moving all the time it's hard not to know it's real. But, she'll be here sooner rather than later and that is exciting : )

No comments:

Post a Comment