Monday, April 13, 2009

The first week

We made it through our first week home. Big sigh of relief. It was an eventful week with nothing but good news all the way around.

Sunday before we were discharged, Isabel had to endure another heel prick to test her bilirubin levels. Saturday it was 5 or 6-point something. Sunday it shot up to 11-point something, but still okay for us to go home. And her weight was not too bad. She had lost a bit, but not more than what was expected. Monday morning we had to take her in to see her pediatrician to check on her color, weight and bilirubin levels. By the time I actually got through to someone to make an appt it was about 8:30. They offered up a 9 am so we took it. We had about 20 minutes to get 2 adults and 1 baby ready to head to the doctors. Fortunately the office is just about 2 miles away & we made it on time, but not without a little bit of stress on my part.

I did forget to mention - P.B. Doughboi came to visit us in the hospital:












Monday her weight was back up to 5 lb 11 oz and her bilirubin level only crept up to a 12-point something. With that small of an increase, her doc was certain her levels had peaked and were on their way down. Plus, her color looked better. So, she was getting better and putting weight on.

Since I don't think I mentioned it yet - her birth stats were: 5 lb 11 oz (yay 5 pound baby!) and length was 17.5 inches. She was born at 10:26 am Friday April 3.

Tuesday we just chilled at home most of the day. We did make a run to babies r'us to pick up stuff we still needed and she went with us - slept during her entire first shopping trip. Wednesday we had to head back to the doctor for another weight check - up to 5 lb 15 oz and color looking great.

Friday we had an appointment with the hospital's lactation consultant. We were supposed to see her while we were still in the hospital, but that never really came to be. She popped in while I was already nursing & said she'd be back but we never saw her again. And, she was a few minutes late on friday. I was starting to not be really impressed with their program after hearing such great things about it. It turns out she is great. She weighed Isabel before I fed then again after I fed so we can figure out how much milk she is getting. For this particular feeding, which so far has gone better than most other feedings, she took in 3 ounces total! That definitely put my mind at ease. I had been worried earlier in the week because my milk wasn't in, but we were supplementing with formula per her pediatrician. By wednesday we started weaning her off the formula because I finally had milk to give her.

Anyway, Ryan and I had gone to a breastfeeding class at the hospital so I was a little familiar with the latch and what to look for and stuff like that. The consultant was impressed with how well the two of us were doing and it didn't look like I needed much help. Since then she's gotten away from her routine a bit and went from waking every 3-4 hours to every 1.5-2 hours. But, we're still doing good for the most part. The appointment was definitely worth going to as we picked up a few new pointers and resources for more information.

Her eyes are open more and more each day and she's been following people walking by a little bit. It's cool to see her progress, even if it is in small increments for now. Plus, her cute faces never get old. Today she fell asleep on my chest and I fell asleep on the sofa. Cute. Then she took a turn sleeping on her daddy's chest. I was finally able to get lunch and a shower. Too much to ask for one day? If she keeps going like this we may actually go to the store later tonight and pick up a few things we need. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment