By Friday morning I was feeling a lot of pressure. The best part was the pressure was getting worse so I knew the anesthesia wasn't overpowering my system. It was, however, overpowering my right thigh for some reason. Anyway, around 8 or so I started to feel the urge to push. The timing of events is a bit fuzzy - I know my doctor had to leave to assist in a c-section and told the nurse I could push because she didn't think the delivery would happen for a while. So, starting around 9 I pushed and pushed and pushed. Ryan was a great coach and very encouraging and supportive. Long story short Isabel Frances (not Francis which is how I spelled it in the introduction email) was born at 10:26. So, about 20 hours of labor total and 1 1/2 hours of pushing. Could've been worse.
Once she was out, I wanted her skin-to-skin. Another part of my plan out the window. She didn't cry right away so they whisked her to the warmer to work on her. The good news is the warmer was in my line of vision and Ryan was right there with her. It took her a few extra seconds to give up the first big cry, but she did and I was relieved. I didn't get to hold her until one or two minutes later, but better to wait and make sure she was okay.
After I had her I tried breastfeeding hoping the one last thing I wanted might actually happen. It did! She knew exactly what to do which was a relief to me. She's been great ever since. She got her first meal, then the three of us just hung out for a bit. After about an hour or so of bonding it was off to the warmer again for her newborn tests, eye ointment, etc. For most of the rest of the day we hung out in the labor/delivery room with my family. I have to say my mom showed great restraint waiting to get back in that room. Because it took a little longer than expected to get Isabel all set up, I think my mom & dad waited about an hour after the actual time of birth to come in & meet her.
Friday evening we got our own room in the postpartum ward and we stayed there until we were discharged on Sunday. Looking back, it seems like a lot of the little details about the labor/delivery, her needing supplemental formula, nurses that were just okay are all so trivial now. Even though almost nothing went as planned, it was a great experience. I hate to sound weepy or cliche, but it really was all worth it. We have this great, healthy little lady at home whom we waited for almost 9 months to meet.
Once she was out, I wanted her skin-to-skin. Another part of my plan out the window. She didn't cry right away so they whisked her to the warmer to work on her. The good news is the warmer was in my line of vision and Ryan was right there with her. It took her a few extra seconds to give up the first big cry, but she did and I was relieved. I didn't get to hold her until one or two minutes later, but better to wait and make sure she was okay.
After I had her I tried breastfeeding hoping the one last thing I wanted might actually happen. It did! She knew exactly what to do which was a relief to me. She's been great ever since. She got her first meal, then the three of us just hung out for a bit. After about an hour or so of bonding it was off to the warmer again for her newborn tests, eye ointment, etc. For most of the rest of the day we hung out in the labor/delivery room with my family. I have to say my mom showed great restraint waiting to get back in that room. Because it took a little longer than expected to get Isabel all set up, I think my mom & dad waited about an hour after the actual time of birth to come in & meet her.
Friday evening we got our own room in the postpartum ward and we stayed there until we were discharged on Sunday. Looking back, it seems like a lot of the little details about the labor/delivery, her needing supplemental formula, nurses that were just okay are all so trivial now. Even though almost nothing went as planned, it was a great experience. I hate to sound weepy or cliche, but it really was all worth it. We have this great, healthy little lady at home whom we waited for almost 9 months to meet.

It really does change you.
She's just adorable, Holly!! And your last line is so true--you cannot really imagine it until it happens. Cannot wait to meet her in person. T
ReplyDeleteHey, where are the details -- weight and length??? give up the goods. She is too adorable. Can't for a play date (smile!).
ReplyDeleteCLSS