Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Where to start....

If I've learned one or two things it would be: planning is for suckers (no offense to planners...I am one of them) and don't put off till tomorrow what you can really get done today. I'm pretty behind in my blog so the details might not be there, but the meat & potatoes will be.

Had my second baby shower on March 28. My mom & sister hosted. It was great. The biggest bummer is my 8-year-old niece worked very hard to help plan the party and came down with a bad stomach bug that morning. So, she wasn't able to attend and wasn't happy about it either. She did great work and the party was a success due, in part, to her efforts. This was the family shower and it was nice to see a few aunts I haven't seen in quite a while. We received many great & useful gifts which will come in handy for a long time to come.

Just around the corner from that shower was spring break. This is my chance to get caught up not only on school work but also getting the house ready for the new arrival. I've got loads of adorable clothes to wash and organize, a house to clean and lists to make of everything we still need (but first we need to figure out what that is). I also have time to take at least one or two days off from working hard and do something that is just fun.

By this time I'm making a little progress on both the school and house work, but I'm not near as far along in either as I hoped I'd be. Typical spring break. My next doctor's appointment is thursday April 2, and I planned on posting an update after that as well. It's always nice to combine several events in one posting as each event is usually a small one by itself.

Thursday morning rolls around and I head to the doctor's office. I tell the dogs I'll be right back, and plan to get a lot of shopping done. My body, and my doctor, had other plans for me. My feet had been swelling a little more the past few days and the swelling hadn't been going down over night or with elevation. And, I had a headache for about 5 days the week prior. Not a bad one, but just enough to be really annoying. Anyway, there was protein in my urine again and this time my blood pressure was 154/101. With all of these symptoms and the high blood pressure, my doctor sent me to the hospital for further testing. She mentioned I may need to be induced that day, but we'll wait and see what the lab results are.

Huh. Clearly not part of the plan. I was expected at the hospital for what I thought would be routine blood work. Nope. They put me in a labor/delivery room, had me dress in a gown and instantly hooked me up to machines. Not a typical blood draw. I make a few phone calls assuring family that I'll be out in a few hours. My labs came back looking pretty good (liver & kidney function for protein levels) and it seemed pretty sure I'd be sent home for a week or so of bed rest to get that blood pressure down.

I had been on the phone with my mother assuring her that I was fine and I'd be home before she could make it up to the hospital to see me when my doctor walked in and said "labs look good but I've weighed the options and I think we're going to go ahead and induce you today." Well, not what I had in mind at all. My dogs weren't in their crates and I still had so much shopping to do. I was prepared to spend the day in the hospital let alone have the baby. One thing they teach in the childbirth prep classes is you have to be flexible when it comes to the birth of your baby. So, I reminded myself that I can be a very flexible person, especially given that it didn't look like I much had a choice at that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment