So, I've read several different places that when a baby is fixin' to do something new, the sleep patterns can be disrupted. I'd say, based on experience, that is right. For a few weeks now Isabel has been up on her hands and knees, and a few times has rocked back and forth. It looks like she's is on her way to crawling (although, the anthropologist in me wants her to skip crawling altogether and just walk. Crawling isn't necessary for walking, and many traditional societies skip crawling. But, the mom in me wants her to do everything, so I'll be happy either way). She's been having trouble staying asleep the past few nights, and times her crying to when we are headed to bed (coincidence?). Last night was the same scenario, so we just brought her to bed with us. She stayed there all night, and I'd say the 3 of us did fairly well together. Until 3:30.
Isabel was wide awake & whiny at 3:30 am. This wasn't in between sleep cycles, this was full on awake. She spent about 30-ish minutes up on her hands and knees rocking and whining. When she finally decided she wasn't going anywhere, she started crying. So, Ryan and I started our day at 3:30. Needless to say (than why am I saying it?) we won't be staying up until midnight tonight. She went back down about 5:30 for her first nap, and I have no idea how long that will be for.
She's just been off lately, partly because of the cold and partly (hopefully) because she's getting ready to do something big. I'm hoping for a mobile New Year so we can get back to the greatness of sleeping!
I've been told by my Pediatrician and midwives that crawling helps children with reading later on. I'm not sure why though...
ReplyDeleteAnyway, to get Penny to crawl I placed her on her back and touched her opposite hands to feet - I made it a game and did it a couple of times a day. 2 days later she was crawling! It may have just been coincidental but it certainly couldn't hurt.
Hope you get in a nap or two today - and Happy New Year!
We used to do the hands to feet thing, but haven't done it in a while. I'll make that part of our day and see if it helps. Thanks for the reminder!
ReplyDeleteAs for crawling & reading - I hadn't heard that before, so I googled it. Here are 2 links I found - http://www.medcentral.org/body.cfm?id=456 and http://jillurbane.typepad.com/thementormom/2006/08/the_importance_.html.
Her doctor's appointment is in a week, so I'll ask her when we go.