We got a phone call this evening from the doctor's office. It turns out her iron level is borderline anemic. The doctor isn't worried, so neither are we. We need to supplement with formula and feed her green veggies. She'll get another heel prick at the 12 month check-up to see if the iron level as increased.
It's funny how the universe keeps telling me it's okay to give Isabel formula (even if it turns out she gets more formula than breast milk) but I just won't listen. I've been on a prescription for a month now that has increased my milk production, but not enough to pump any significant amount. On the way home from the doctor Ryan and I discussed me going off the meds and supplementing with formula if we need to (which I know we will). Her doctor explained that the first 6 months are the more important for getting breast milk and anything after that is a big bonus. On some level I'm okay with that but apparently not fully because as I'm typing this I'm crying.
Anyhoo - we got that call tonight and one of the ways to help her bring up her iron level is to supplement with formula. So, Universe, I'll finally listen and give in. I'll supplement Isabel's diet with formula. I guess it'll just take me a while to fully be okay with it. Hopefully by the time she's weaned I will have figured out why this is so hard for me (especially since I can accept it on a logical level and I'm really ready to be done nursing - at least I think I am).
Don't forget that nursing produces extra hormones AND it often takes women a full year after birth to recover from the hormone rollercoaster and get back to "normal".
ReplyDeleteIt's ok to feel sad and upset that exclusive breastfeeding didn't quite work... I remember how that feels! So cut yourself a little slack :) Sometime us moms are our own harshest critics...