The Folsom library is putting on a summer reading program for kids of all ages. It's easy - you pick up a pamphlet with reading activities for kids based on their age group, do at least 10 of those activities and turn in the checked off pamphlet for prizes. Over the past week or so Busy & I worked in 12 activities. They included things like "let your child pick out a book and praise his/her choices." Easy - we do that every day. Or "talk about the first letter of your child's name." Done. All of the activities we mostly do anyway, but it was fun to have a plan and a goal in mind. I like being able to check things off and keep track of what we've done.
Yesterday we took the pamphlet in to the library for her prizes. She chose the rubber ducky she wanted (incidentally it was the same ducky I would have chosen) and I picked out the board book. She would have done it but she got distracted by all the other things going on in the library and took off walking. Auntie Carolyn was there, too, so she walked around with Busy while I made the careful selection.
Since she is crazy about books I see this summer reading program fitting in to our activities each summer from now on. I can imagine she won't be too motivated by the prizes, but rewards never hurt.
No comments:
Post a Comment