Friday, March 25, 2011

Meds make the baby crazy

Busy is now working on her second ear infection this year.  The first was just last month.  I was prepared for a lot of colds from being in an enclosed space with lots of other little kids, but ear infections just didn't cross my mind.  Wednesday morning we called the advice nurse to ask about her 10-day low-grade fever.  Our advice was to get her seen by a doctor within 24 hours.  We were not surprised when we were told her regular pediatrician was booked solid - we knew before we even asked that we'd end up at urgent care.  Not that big of a deal until we found out that our health insurance raised the copay for urgent care by $20.  Now urgent care is not such a financially viable alternative to her regular doctor that we can apparently only see for well-baby check-ups.  Anyhoo - enough of my venting.

The infection is in the opposite ear from last time and we're trying out a different antibiotic than last time, too.  This one seems to make Busy a little crazy.  Meltdowns at the drop of a hat are quite common these days.  She cries when the Pajanimals comes on - "No Janimals!  No Janimals!"  Okay, I'll turn off the Pajanimals.  Let's do something else instead.  "Janimals on! Janimals on!"  Cue the flinging to the floor and rolling around like I just cut off her feet.  Or "sit on potty."  Awesome.  Let's go sit on the potty.  As I'm helping to pull her pants down, I get "pants on!  pants on!"  Cue the crying as if the newest and cutest boy band just called it quits.

I know she just doesn't feel good, so really all I can do is laugh.  Sometimes laugh out loud which makes me feel even worse.  It's just so over-the-top dramatic.  The good news is her fever is down, and has been down for 24 hours now.  We're crossing our fingers that the Isabel we know and love will come back to us soon.

Busybel in happier times.

No comments:

Post a Comment