Saturday, April 2, 2011

2 year well-baby

Busy had her 2 year well-baby a few days ago.  It was just a check-up, no shots!  I love the appointments that don't include getting shots.  Even though she does relatively well, I just hate to see her get those shots.  Anyway, her weight is slightly up to 21.8 pounds, and her height is 33.5".  It is barely an increase, but it is an increase.  Plus, she barely ate last week because of the cold and second ear infection.  Thankfully her doctor was still happy with the progress and is giving us the go-ahead to start weaning her off the pediasure within the next year.  The next year is a giant window of time and she wasn't specific as to what part of that year or how long to take.  My guess is we'll do it sooner than later.  First I want to make sure we'll have access to their scale to bring her in occasionally for quick weight checks.  Our next real check-up won't be until she is 3, so I'd hate to wait an entire year only to find out she's not gaining enough anymore.  But, the good news is we're out of the most important brain development period, so from here on out it should be strictly about her weight.

We will go back the first week in May to get her ears checked.  The doctor wants to make sure all of the fluid is draining from the infections.  I'm all on board for that.  I recently ran into one of the mom's group babies with his grandma and he is having the tubes put in his ears.  I hadn't given that any thought before, but now it's on my mind.  She's had 2 ear infections in 2 months.  Her doctor assured me it isn't something we need to be thinking about, but did let me know it is a very simple procedure and one with good results.  I'm not worried about it, just trying & hoping to avoid it.

These days Busy has been wanting to help with everything Ryan and I do.  Last night it was power washing the back patio.  The other night it was helping with dinner.  There isn't a lot she can do right now since most meal preps revolve around chopping and hot stoves, but she does like to wash vegetables.  After she was done with the celery, she stayed at the sink for close to an hour playing with the water.  It was awesome!  She had a ton of fun filling her medicine spoon with water and pouring it into my coffee scoop.  Sometimes she would fling water behind her, but it's only water.  I didn't really care much because I was able to get so much stuff done!  This will definitely go on our list of super fun activities.

Busy's second birthday is tomorrow.  I can't believe she is turning 2.  Sometimes it feels like she should still be a tiny baby and other times it feels like she should at least be starting middle school.  We're having a small, low-key party again this year.  Just a few friends and family.  There will be lots of painting, make-you-own pizzas and cake.  We're looking forward to it and she's been talking about it all week.  She's excited to see her friends.

2 comments: