Leland is one month old already! Since he hasn't had to go back to see the doctor for a weight check (hooray!), we don't have an accurate measurement of his growth, but it is obvious that he has chunked up. Not only is it evidenced by the way he looks (nice full face and big baby belly) but also in the amount of time he spends eating. I'm not kidding when I say we go through phases of spending an hour or more nursing. We have to supplement with formula because nursing alone isn't always enough to fill his belly. He gets maybe 2 formula bottles a day at most and (if I'm lucky and have the extra time/milk) he'll get a bottle of breast milk instead. I remember with Isabel being saddened by the fact that she was getting formula. I'm over that now. A mom's gotta feed her baby, and if he needs formula then so be it. Having a surplus of milk is just not my thing.
I won't say he's sleeping more through the night, but he is sleeping a little bit better. Sometimes I'm able to get him back to sleep without nursing him to sleep (what we call slursing). He still prefers to fall asleep on my and moving him can be a bit tricky. We're both learning to perfect the transition. His sleeping spells are longer during the day (of course), but are getting a little bit longer at night as well. I'm tempted to say he is about the same kind of sleeper Isabel was at this stage, but I'm certain I don't have a clear remembrance of her at one month old. I do remember bouncing her on the exercise ball for what seemed like hours watching back-to-back episodes of Will & Grace and Frasier for weeks.
Leland and I nursed and slept our way through his first Christmas. I had the flu and he did what he normally does. Isabel had a great time with her aunt, uncle and cousins. Her cousins are so good with her. They willingly entertain her, and I think they actually enjoy it. It was rainy here all day, so that was a big bummer for Isabel. She so badly wanted to get outside and play but couldn't. Overall, though, she kept her attitude in check and got over the fact that we were all house bound. This morning she was very upset that today wasn't a holiday. But I think she's over that, too. She's out fishing right now with her dad and her new fishing pole hopefully having a ton of fun. I opted to stay at home with a hungry little guy who just wants to be held.
No comments:
Post a Comment