Thursday, December 13, 2012

Leland has arrived!

Technically he arrived almost three weeks ago.  It seems like so much has happened already there is just too much to write about here.  As I did with Isabel, I'll start with a quick recap of Leland's birth story.  Starting on October 22 I began non-stress tests (nsts) twice a week in addition to my regular, weekly doctor appointment.  My blood pressure had started to rise and the nsts were a precaution to make sure Leland was getting enough blood flow.  I was admitted to the hospital that night, and spent the better part of my birthday in the hospital the next day.  Labs were fine and he passed the nsts with flying colors.  I was under observation for the 24 or so hours and released.

I continued the nsts and weekly labs/doctor appointments until week 37 - November 23rd to be exact.  My bp was really high and my platelet count was decreasing.  I was not only admitted to the hospital, but the on-call doctor had plans to get my induction under way.  She presented a compelling case, and really I was in position to argue.  BUT, before they started the pitocin, they were going to start an iv drip of magnesium.  Apparently magnesium relaxes the muscles making a seizure (caused by elevated bp) nearly impossible.  Sounds like a decent plan - really, who wants to risk a seizure pregnant or not?  What I didn't know until later is how much a high dose of magnesium will relax my muscles.

Nothing really happened until the next morning when the contractions really started.  Long story short, my labor wasn't as long as Isabel's (with her it was about 21 hours), but I really don't remember the details.  I'm pretty sure I only pushed for maybe 20 minutes, but that is a little fuzzy, too.  Leland was born at 2:16 in the afternoon without any further complications.  He weighed 5 lb 14 ounces and was 19 1/2 inches long.  He was fine and I was fine, too.  He was checked over pretty thoroughly by the nurses due to my high bp and the magnesium.  He spent just a little bit of time with me, basically long enough to nurse, and made the rounds with family.  That's about the time the side effects of the magnesium started to show up.

At this point I was having a difficult time with muscle control making it unsafe for me to hold Leland without help.  Before Ryan and Isabel left for the night, it was decided that Leland would spend the night with the nurses.  This was a suck decision to make, but for the best.  And it turned out I really had no idea what a good decision it was.  Overnight I became unable to chew food, roll myself over without help, move my legs, talk without slurring, and keep my eyes open.  By morning I was unable to feed myself and I had a bad case of double vision.  By mid-morning the delivery doctor ok'd taking me off the magnesium and by the afternoon/evening time I was regaining some muscle control.  I could eat and talk, but still had double vision.  With the nurses help, Leland came to hang out with me in bed ad chill.  He spent the rest of the time with me.

Since we've been home he's mixed up his days and nights, nursed more than I thought possible and has developed a high-pitched scream to accompany some of his cries.  He also put on a tiny bit over 1 pound in 12 days and doesn't need to see the doctor again until his 2 month check-up.  He is a totally different baby than Isabel was when she was born, so Ryan and I are learning about newborns all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment