Yesterday was Isabel's first round of immunizations. I've been dreading this for a while, mostly because I didn't know what to expect from her. I've heard stories from other moms that were good and bad. Some kids ran high fevers and wouldn't stop crying, for others it was like nothing happened at all. If I had to pick - Isabel was the latter. During the entire hour long appointment she was much more upset (and let us know about it) about being hungry than any needle poke. I knew those needle pokes would be hard for me, especially if she cried a lot. I was surprised to find myself crying when she was getting the oral vaccine. Not sure why, but I was. That was more upsetting for me than the 30 seconds of hard crying she did because of the shots.
As soon as Ryan picked her up she calmed down and was fine. I nursed her right away (thanks for the advice Jessica!) and she was good to go. I got her home and she ate again and drifted off to dreamland. When she woke up a few hours later she was fussy, but mildly so. She gave a few good screams but her fussiness consisted mostly of whimpers and mild crying. Really not hole hearted kinda stuff. She was up for an hour and was back down for a nap. We did this a few times until she woke up sometime around 5:30. She wasn't crying anymore, but just wanted to eat...and eat...and eat some more.
Sometime around 10 pm or so we took a rectal temp - 100.4. Okay, mild fever. She'd already had one dose of Tylenol, so she got another. We took her onesie off and kept her just in a diaper the rest of the night. I finally had to wake Ryan up for a shift change at midnight because she just wasn't getting sleepy enough for sleep. I woke up again at 2:30 to hear crying - hungry again. Ryan said she slept most of the time between midnight at 2:30, so that was good. She ate a little at 2:30 and was in bed again within the hour. Her temp this morning was down to 98.4 rectally. She greeted me with smiles - my favorite thing first thing in the morning. As long as there are no issues with the injection site we made it through this round just fine.
She's going back to campus today so I can take care of a few last minute things and then it's off to my mom's office for show and tell. It's where I got my ultrasounds done, so there are a few that are eager to see the final product.
Not to brag, but she really is an amazing little girl so far. If hunger is the only thing to upset her I think we'll be fine. And everyone agrees - her cry is pretty cute (at least for now).
As soon as Ryan picked her up she calmed down and was fine. I nursed her right away (thanks for the advice Jessica!) and she was good to go. I got her home and she ate again and drifted off to dreamland. When she woke up a few hours later she was fussy, but mildly so. She gave a few good screams but her fussiness consisted mostly of whimpers and mild crying. Really not hole hearted kinda stuff. She was up for an hour and was back down for a nap. We did this a few times until she woke up sometime around 5:30. She wasn't crying anymore, but just wanted to eat...and eat...and eat some more.
Sometime around 10 pm or so we took a rectal temp - 100.4. Okay, mild fever. She'd already had one dose of Tylenol, so she got another. We took her onesie off and kept her just in a diaper the rest of the night. I finally had to wake Ryan up for a shift change at midnight because she just wasn't getting sleepy enough for sleep. I woke up again at 2:30 to hear crying - hungry again. Ryan said she slept most of the time between midnight at 2:30, so that was good. She ate a little at 2:30 and was in bed again within the hour. Her temp this morning was down to 98.4 rectally. She greeted me with smiles - my favorite thing first thing in the morning. As long as there are no issues with the injection site we made it through this round just fine.
She's going back to campus today so I can take care of a few last minute things and then it's off to my mom's office for show and tell. It's where I got my ultrasounds done, so there are a few that are eager to see the final product.
Not to brag, but she really is an amazing little girl so far. If hunger is the only thing to upset her I think we'll be fine. And everyone agrees - her cry is pretty cute (at least for now).
And - perhaps the most important part of this post - her stats!
No comments:
Post a Comment